Welcome to my world of novels, adventure stories and manuscripts.
Updates & Newsletter
Sign up for my quarterly newsletter for exclusive deals, giveaways, videos and bookish chat.
Alison Quigley was a former national junior gold medalist in artistic gymnastics before securing a journalism cadetship and working around Australia for various independent newspapers. In her early twenties she turned freelance and sailed around the world, writing occasional stories for sailing magazines and newspapers. She has completed a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Laws, and a Master of Philosophy (Creative Writing) from the University of Queensland.
Her short stories have won regional awards and been long-listed for international ones. She has written five full-length manuscripts, all in different stages of development, several attracting Varuna residencies and ASA mentorships. She is now seeking agent representation for The Trophy Room, a Montreal gymnastics murder mystery, featuring a circus artist and set in the world of gymnastics. All her novels involve female protagonists who must overcome their fears to act – whether it’s to forge a career in the demanding world of pastry cheffing (Crazy about Cakes), finding a way to rescue a child from an abusive tyrannical father (The Hope Nest ), rescuing a child from circus slavery (Circus Heist) making a comeback to gymnastics in her late thirties (Comeback Collision) or working as a double agent during a hostage crisis (The Executioner’s List).
She has a strong community writing ethic, having spent three years on the management committee of the Sunshine Coast Literary Association, and she has also been the regional spokesperson for the Sunshine Coast on the Queensland Writers’ Centre Regional Writers Reference Group. She is a long-standing member of the Australian Society of Authors and for six years has worked as a critique partner and manuscript appraiser for various local writers, including Taryn Bashford and Elizabeth Kasmer, each Varuna fellowship winners, with the latter author securing the 2016 Queensland Emerging Writers’ Award.
Short Story Awards
- 2005 Highly Commended, Short Story Category, Sunshine Coast Writers’ Group
- 2005 Winner Poberay Award , Cooktown Writers Group
- 2005 Commended, Short Story Category, Shoalhaven Literary Award
- 2005 Winner, Short Story Category, SA Stumpy Festival
- 2010 Highly Cded, Short Story Category, Eastwood/Hills Fellowship of Australian Writers
- 2013-14 The Deception was long listed for UK-based Fish Publishing’s international short story award
- 2013 Varuna Fellowship Crazy About Cakes
- 2013 Mslexia Longlist for In Two Minds
- 2014 ASA Mentorship, Garry Disher. Crazy About Cakes
- 2014 Winner, Varuna PIP program Crazy About Cakes
- 2014 Mslexia Longlist for Crazy About Cakes
- 2015 ASA Mentorship, Julie Chevalier The Hope Nest
- 2018 Spotlight First Novel Competition longlist One Small Character Flaw (now The Trophy Room).